Sunday, November 28, 2010

Farmers' Market Chatter

I was at two of my favorite farmers' markets this weekend - the downtown Palo Alto Saturday morning market and the Mountain View Sunday morning market - and a couple comments that I heard from vendors at the market made me really glad that I shop at farmers' markets, take the time to talk to the people that are selling and growing the food that I eat, and feel compelled to shop even when it's cold, wet and/or when the selection of produce is not the same as the rainbow bounty of the summer.

Heard at the market from a variety of vendors:
  • [In the middle of a steady drizzle on a cold Saturday morning] "It will be slow day today, but our regulars will make it out. I have faith in them."
  • "Thanks for braving the market the weekend after Thanksgiving. It's always cold and usually one of the slowest days of the year at the market."
  • [After asking a vendor if they carry sell something particular] "I have them but I don't bring them to this market. Do you think I should bring them to this market?" [To which I emphatically replied yes]

No comments:

Post a Comment