Sunday, July 31, 2011

Grazing Local on Vacation

After years of learning about where my food comes from and trying to change my habits and routine as it relates to food while at home, I'm starting to want to know where my food comes from (and shop at farmers' markets, visit farms, etc.) while we're on vacation too. Especially since we travel so much in California (and we often stay in houses with a kitchen), there is no reason we can't often find a farmers' market or a farm nearby.

During a recent weekend in Pismo Beach, I made a point of checking out the lively Thurs night San Luis Obispo farmers' market, the Arroyo Grande Meat Company and Village Butcher Shop, and Avila Valley Barn. At the SLO farmers' market, we stopped by several stands to buy peaches, raspberries, watermelon and eggs (chicken and duck). At the local butcher, we took home some delicious sausage And in the u-pick orchards at Avila Valley Barn, we picked some delicious white peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment